Many small businesses don’t like employing people, for some of the following reasons:
- It is unlikely that anyone you employ will have the same passion for your business that you do.
- You may find the concept of managing people to be hard work.
- Employees can also become a high cost for you. You may start to feel the responsibility not only for your own financial future but your employee’s future.
- You may see this as an unnecessary stress you just don’t need.
- You may simply not want to be burdened with the personal issues employees bring to your business, when you have enough to worry about.
Our fear of employing staff can be a major stumbling block to our growth or even our survival. Our success, especially in service-based industries, is often limited by the number of hours we can work. To make more growth, we work harder and longer.
Employing the right staff and then looking after them, in a way that gets the most out of them, is critical if you want to become more than a solo or very small business.
By Bob Weir, July 2018